expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>
Knowledge of our past is our inheritance. What we do with that knowledge will shape our destinies...

Monday, May 6, 2013

Historical Tidbit--William Wallace

Did you know...?
Source


That Braveheart is based on a true story?

Okay, most people know that. But the thing that's interesting about it is that most people didn't know that story until it was discovered.

The film's producer, Randall Wallace, was on a random vacation in Scotland, and saw a statue of a man he'd never heard of named William Wallace. Because they shared a last name, he remarked on it to the tour guide with something along the lines of, "Another Wallace. (An extremely common Scottish surname.) Who was this man?"

To which the guide replied with reverence, "He is our greatest hero." 

The rest, as they say, is history. The story became the subject of one of the most widely-watched, epic, well-received historical films in history. All because someone paid attention to a little-know history, known only by those in the corner of the world where it happened.

So...I guess my message is that the next historical epic could be hidden in any random historical fact or situation you might come across. Keep your ears open and your imagination primed. :D

What promising historical tidbits have you come across lately?

P.S. Don't forget to sign up for the Summer Mermaid-Lit Reading Challenge!!! Starts soon!


2 comments:

  1. I love when I see or experience or read about something that sparks my imagination. I'll have to pay extra close attention now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I love these little posts. I actually didn't know this! I know, I'm such a weirdo, haha. I'm also your newest follower! I would really appreciate it if you could come over to my blog to check it out and if you like it, you can follow me as well. I blog about my favourite music and books hence the name Music Plus Books.
    Thank you and good luck,
    Music Plus Books
    - Laura

    ReplyDelete