expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>
Knowledge of our past is our inheritance. What we do with that knowledge will shape our destinies...

Monday, March 25, 2013

What's That Got to Do With the Price of Blue M&Ms?

So on Friday night, I found myself in a tiny grade school multi-purpose room in Roy, Utah. One of my youngest brothers, Micah, was the star of his school play, a fun, colorful production they named A Seussical. The Grinch, the Cat in the Hat, the Whos, and many others all shared the stage, singing rhyming songs and reciting well-known Seuss lines. A person's a person no matter how small...I meant what I said, I said what I meant. An elephant is faithful one hundred percent...My brother played Horton, and had many solos and much stage direction. He did wonderfully! So proud of him! He's the kind of kid that quiet, but extremely talented. There's a clip below, though it's a bit hard to see.



So what's this got to do with blue candy? My dad was filming the production on his ipad, so he was in the very back by the window. I sat beside him, and a woman in the row in front of us got her kicks some candy from concessions.

Source
As we watched, one oblong-shaped candy got away from her. She reached and reached, but succeeded only in pushing it farther away from her. After that, each time someone walked by in front of us, it got kicked or swished a little farther. By the end of the night, it had made it's way half-way across the multi-purpose room.

Cut to me and my dad, pointing and giggling as it spins randomly toward the exit.

After that, I couldn't stop thinking about. Hmm, thinks I, how can I make this an analogy for writing?

Source
Well, so often we come to a point in our writing where we feel stuck, unable to so much as write our way out of a room. Then a little inspiration comes along and gives us a push. Then another. Then another. Soon, we find ourselves light years from where we started. But, we have to be patient and believe that some way, somehow, we'll get there. And, you know, get there before the janitorial staff sweeps us up with the garbage at the end of the night.

**crickets chirping**

Anyway, extremely lame, contrived post over here, but it's been a busy weekend, and I didn't have the time to come up with anything more profound. I even posted it on both blogs today. ;D

So, what do you think of the magical journey of the blue M&M?

1 comment:

  1. I didn't think it was lame at all, actually. A great visual and yes, sometimes we just have to follow the idea-- kick by rolling kick.

    And how fun for your brother!

    ReplyDelete