expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>
Knowledge of our past is our inheritance. What we do with that knowledge will shape our destinies...

Monday, July 16, 2012

Courage New Hampshire--Promising New Series

Today I am so pleased to have Monique Lewis as a guest blogger. Monique is an associate producer for a historical fiction T.V. series called, Courage New Hampshire, a historical t.v. series set in colonial times. Myself, I have only watched part of the first episode, but I very much liked what I saw. So, here's Monique:



On a recent trip up to the California Central Coast, my husband and I decided to visit Hearst Castle. As most you may know, Hearst Castle is not a castle at all. In fact, it is an extravagant mansion, a “palace" of sorts. It took over 28 years to build most of this house, and if you plan to visit there any time soon, you will see that it still remains unfinished.

With 38 bedrooms, William Randolph Hearst hosted the elite of Hollywood, politics, and sports, during the 1930's.

During my tour, I could not help myself from imagining all of the people, who walked the extravagant grounds, the conversations that were held in the Roman pool, hear the laughter and music that echoed throughout the Assembly Hall. I could imagine walking with my “honey” in the gardens dressed in the finest of 1930's attire for one of the many parties that Hearst hosted on the grounds.

On our way back home, I was left hungering for more of the 1920’s- 1930's
adventure and experiences.

I decided that I would not mourn the memories of visiting Hearst Castle, but I would seek to find that adventure in a book. I would trust my feelings of nostalgia to one of the greats in American literature.
With one book in mind, and I decided to dive in, head first.

I chose to re-read, F. Scott Fitzgerald's, "The Great Gatsby.”

“The Great Gatsby" is one of my favorite books, because it reflects a certain time period and a certain mindset: The Roaring 20’s where possibility and prosperity seemed endless. I read this book in high school. I loved it then, and I love it now. The romance between Gatsby and Daisy is timeless, and it brings up feelings of nostalgia. (I want to live in that time period!)

Nostalgia is, simply, the desire to replicate and remember the past. We like to look back. We enjoy speculating: “what could have been?” We constantly, force our way back into the past, our past.
And so, dear reader, you might be able to infer that my desire for nostalgia has made me an avid reader and an American history buff.

Currently, I am an associate producer for a television show called “Courage, New Hampshire.” This show reminds me of a good book. I was hooked by the story. "Courage, New Hampshire" is the story of tavern justice dealt out in an 18th century New England shire town on the verge of the American Revolution. Tavern keeper and justice of the peace Silas Rhodes (James Riley), alongside British deserter Bob Wheedle (Nathan Kershaw) lead a band of rebel underground soldiers known as “The Sons of Liberty," in acts of midnight justice against royal officials attempting to enforce unpopular law, in the pre-revolutionary New England township of Courage, New Hampshire.

And even though this show is not a book, it reflects a certain mindset that most Americans desire to believe again: Good men can pursue justice and liberty for all. The goal of the show is to not only bring about feelings of nostalgia, but an understanding of the past.

Each episode tells a story depicting daily life in this 18th century early American township mixed with the turmoil of pre-revolutionary war in accurate historical detail; provide a storyline filled with intrigue, politics, family-life, and romance in this colonial period drama series. Though fictional, many of the story lines will be based on actual events.

I encourage you all to check out “Courage, New Hampshire,” and be sure to let me know what you think! I am always looking for honest critics!

Until then, happy reading!
Monique and her husband in front
 of Neptune Pool at Hearst Castle
~Monique

Thanks so much, Monique! I don't think there are nearly enough historical series on T.V. these days, so I'm all for more. Anyone wanting more info on this series, visit colonybay.net. Thanks again, Monique! :D











4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to visit that house. It sounds like it's fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how things that pique our interest usually lead us to a book or other research. The show sounds interesting. I'll see if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete