expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>
Knowledge of our past is our inheritance. What we do with that knowledge will shape our destinies...

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Rainy Day Mood

So on Sunday afternoon I was sitting in my room writing the next chapter of my story, when something started tapping against my window.  Don't worry, it wasn't creepy.  It was rain.  I happen to be someone who LOVES the rain.  When the thunder rumbled close enough to shake my window in it's frame, I ran to the vertical blinds, twisted them open, and pulled them across so I had an unobstructed view of the window.  The sky was gray, the rain coming down in sheets, and thunder shivered over my house off and on for more than half an hour.  Alas, I didn't actually see an lightning, but I'm sure it was there, skittering behind the clouds.

I really couldn't have asked for more perfect weather right at this moment.  Why you ask?  Two reasons. One, thunderstorms really fire up the creative drama part of my imagination.  If I'm not writing, I definitely want to be.  The second reason is that I actually was writing, and the beautiful, albeit brief thunderstorm was the perfect backdrop to set the mood I needed.  I just happened to be writing a scene where three people were standing on the side of a mountain talking.  One is an enemy to the other two (or at least a perceived enemy) and the two individuals stand around debating the evils of collectivism verses individualism, and trying to win the one collectivist to their way of thinking.  Meanwhile, the wind is blowing and the sky is overcast and threatening and there's all kinds of awesome, high drama dialogue being thrown around, so as I said, the storm was perfect for my mood.

Rain has that effect on me.  I sighed blissfully as I walked my characters through their tortured, conflicted neuroses.  Don't you just love being a writer?

What kinds of weather inspire your writing?  Or just your mood in general?

2 comments:

  1. I like the rain, but only if I don't have to leave the house. I really don't like rain on my skin. For writing, it's really just my mood. Good day or bad day at work, news, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. some days I hate being a writer.

    ReplyDelete